Saturday, December 9, 2017

Teens Hike the Long Trail!

Our group descending the Green Mountains as we push
 towards Canada


From Massachusetts to the Canadian border the Long trail spans 272 miles of marked and maintained hikeable wilderness. Created by the Green Mountain Club between 1910 to 1930, the Long Trail was the first long distance hiking trail in the United States. The trail follows the Green Mountains of Vermont and passes over the states highest peaks. The Long Trail in fact inspired the creation of the Appalachian trail, the worlds longest hiking trail which spans an impressive 2,180 miles, the two trails even merge for a hundred miles in Vermont. The Long Trail is still in the care of the Green Mountain Club and home to hundreds of hikers every year.




After a challenging morning of climbing
 we near the top of Camels Hump (elevation 4,083 feet)
 







We made the Long Trail our home for 36 days with two resupply drops, one every 12 days. Our group 
was made up of eight campers ages 15-17 and two guides. The trip was organized by Farm and Wilderness a collected group of Quaker based summer camps in Vermont. Many of us had a little hiking experience but I’m sure I can speak for everyone when I say we were thrown outside of our comfort zones and all learned skills and life lessons we will never forget. Hiking the Long trail is a beautiful and truly breathtaking experience and I would suggest looking into making the trek if hiking if something you enjoy. It’s a long hike but it’s a great hike to start with if you’re interested in long hiking adventures. 

 An impressively crafted stairway built into the side of the
 mountain
Enjoying a Vermont sunset before heading to to bed

Our group reluctantly stops for a group picture as we
 try and stay warm
Thought provoking trail note found in one of the
 trails many shelters
I’m a young adult blessed with very unique life experiences,
and the passion to write about them. I grew up on a 
Volkswagen microbus and sailboat traveling North America,
and spent from age 11-16 living in an Intentional community
called Dancing Rabbit Ecovillage. I enjoy working on my 
blogs and various passion projects and hope the creativity 
doesn’t fade. Thank you for taking the time out to read my
article I hope you enjoyed!






1 comment:

  1. I loved reading this! I'm thinking of hiking the Long Trail some day with my daughter. Glad to hear you had such a great experience on your F&W hike.

    ReplyDelete